Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dashi - Japanese Soup Stock with Shiitake and Kombu

I am making Dashi (Japanese Soup Stock) tonight. I always use "Mizudashi" method which is to make Dashi by soaking dried ingredients in water overnight. I am using Dried Shiitake Mushroom and Kombu (kelp) tonight. If you have Dried Shiitake only, that will work also. Kombu only is good, too. Katsuobushi (bonito flakes) works well also.


What I used:
  • 3 pieces of Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
  • 1 piece of Kombu (Kelp cut down to about 4 inches)
  • 3 cups of water

Rinse the Dried Shiitake Mushrooms. Wipe Kombu with dump paper towel. Put them in a bowl with 3 cups of water and let them soak overnight (8 hours or more) in a refrigerator.

The stock will be ready to use by the morning. I squeeze water out of Shiitake and Kombu and put them aside to be used for other recipes later on.

I am thinking about making "something Japanese" tomorrow, but not sure what. I will post whatever I decided to make tomorrow!