Saturday, January 31, 2009

Okara Nuggets with Hijiki and Carrot trial

I made some soymilk today, so I got more Okara (soy pulp). Since the Okara Falafel I made last week was a big success, I decided to make something similar. Instead of putting parsley and garlic, I put Hijiki and carrots. My daughter liked it. I thought they are so so. I think everything taste good to my daughter if they are fried and with sweet chili sauce....

What I used:
  • 2 cups of Okara
  • 1/2 onion - finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Hijiki
  • 1/2 cup Carrots - finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup Flour
I washed and drained Hijiki (I didn't soak it in water, since my Okara is pretty moiste), then mixed all the ingredients together and fried them for 5 to 7 minutes with 350 degrees F oil.

Hijiki is a brown sea vegetable growing wild on rocky coastlines. It is known to be rich in dietary fibre and essential minerals such as calcium(1400mg/100g),iron(55.0mg/100g) and magnesium(620mg/100g).

Next time, I might add green onions instead of regular onion, and maybe shelled edamame in the dough....

Please leave me a comment and tell me how you liked the recipe! Please try out my other Okara Recipes also!