Sunday, January 25, 2009

Furikake on your Rice!

Furikake Recipe! Have you ever had your Japanese friend tell you that you can't pour Soy Sauce over your rice and got embarrassed? Have you ever thought the Japanese style cooked white rice is little too blunt for your taste? Here is the secret! Not every Japanese people eat their rice straight. Many of them put "Furikake" on their Rice!


Furikake is any dry Japanese condiment meant to be sprinkled on top of rice. The main ingredients for most of the Furikakes are Sesame Seeds and Salts. Some of them consists dried and ground fish, eggs, vegetables, etc. Here is my basic Furikake Recipe I use at my house.

You will need:
  • 3 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
  • 1 tablespoon Salts
  • 1 sheet Roasted Seaweed (Yakinori)
1. Tear up the roasted seaweed roughly into small pieces.

2. Put all the ingredients in to a food processor and grind them together for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mixture resemble the photo above.

Please let me know what you think! I am thinking about adding chili peppers for my next batch.